Establishment of Digital Archive on Agricultural Theses and Journals of Bangladesh
Window 3 (University-wide Innovation) of AIF
Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project
University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
Sub-Project Management Team
Sub-Project Manager: Prof. Dr. Md. Sekender Ali
Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka
Alternate Sub-Project Manager: Prof. M. Zahidul Haque
Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka SAU, Dhaka
Member: Prof. Dr. Md. Golam Farouque
Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh
Member: Dr. Md. Abiar Rahman
BangabandhuSheikh MujiburRahman Agricultural University, Gazipur
Researchers and academicians of agricultural disciplines generally review past studies from the hard copies of Theses/Dissertations and Journals which is very difficult, time consuming and costly. All the MS and PhD students of agricultural universities are to conduct individual research and to submit Thesis/Dissertation to the university authorities.Teachers also conduct research and publish their research articles in Journals. Digitization of information is an important goal of the present government of Bangladesh. On the other hand, development of highly skilled technical and scientific personnel in different fields of agricultural science in order to conduct research, to provide higher education and to disseminate research findings is the major goal of agricultural universities.
On these considerations, the management team of this sub-project decided to establish a digital archive on agricultural theses and journals of Bangladesh by covering mainly the Theses/Dissertations and Journals of Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh; Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BMSRAU), Gazipur and Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University (SAU), Dhaka.
To enhance and update the IT infrastructure
To established digital archive on agricultural Theses/Dissertations and Journals of Bangladesh
To increase the number of users (teachers, researchers, librarians, students, policy makers, extension providers, farmers etc.) of the digital archive on agricultural Theses/Dissertations and Journals of Bangladesh
To continue the digital archive of agricultural Theses/Dissertations and Journals of Bangladesh
• After establishing the digital agricultural archive, the future researchers will be able to review past studies quickly in an easiest way by visiting a single website.
• They will be able to know about all the past Theses/Dissertations and Journals, as a result duplication/manipulation of research will be controlled.
• The Supervisors of the MS/PhD students will be able to stop their students from copying/manipulating past Theses/Dissertations.
• Knowledge of students, teachers and future researchers will be increased and researchers will be able to search new research ideas/problems.
• Results of MS and PhD research will be disseminated world-wide.
• Nationwide digitization aim of the present government will be fulfilled.
• Institutional and academic quality of the universities as well as agricultural research organizations of Bangladesh will be improved.
• Reviewing cost of past studies for researchers will be drastically reduced as they will get all the previous information from websites in a systematic way.
• Beside the selected three universities, following six public universities of Bangladesh have agricultural faculties/disciplines and are going to start MS and PhD courses on agricultural disciplines:
- Sylhet Agricultural University, Sylhet
- Patuakhali Science & Technology University, Patuakhali
- Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science & Technology University, Dinajpur
- Chittagong Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Chittagong
- School of Agriculture, Khulna University, Khulna
- Faculty of Agriculture, Rajshahi University, Rajshahi
• The Theses/Dissertaions and Journals of these universities may be covered under this archive later with limited cost.
• The proposed digital archive will be a milestone for other universities to prepare such type of digital archives.
• That will be ultimately helpful to the national development related to agricultural research activities.
Using Procedure of the Digital Archive
• Browse to the website: www.daatj.net
• Alternatively you can get this archive in the website of BdREN, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh; Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BMSRAU), Gazipur and Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University (SAU), Dhaka.
• Search Theses or Journal Section as your need.
• Click on Search the archive from the top-left panel.
• In the right panel, put any key word(s) related to agricultural discipline, then you will get all the related Theses/Dissertations. You may select university, year etc. to get your required Theses/Dissertations.
• After putting key word(s) and selecting university, year etc. you will get the list of Theses/Dissertations related to your requirement.
• Clik on your selected title, you will get the particulars (with several identifying indicators) of the Thesis/Dissertation.
• Click the “File” of the Thesis/Dissertation. You will get the whole Thesis/Dissertation (in PDF format).
• In few cases you will not get the PDF file since those are in process of digitization. In this case you will get only the abstract of the Thesis/Dissertation on the lower portion of the page.
• Searching procedure is as same as Theses section.
• After getting result, click on the name of the Journals
• Here, search criterion is imposed on articles only.
• There is an index for each of the journal from which PDF can be downloaded.
From here user can manually search their desired document by clicking on different category.
There is also a Panel in the right-hand side of the searching section which indicates the Most Read 5 documents, which will help the viewer about the highest ranked document in the current time.
Don’t forgate to rate the digital archive as very good, good, poor, very poor as you think. Inform your perception, information and complain to the following.
Prof. Dr. Md. Sekender Ali
SPM of the Concerned Sub-Project
Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka
Cell: +8801711230183, +8801611230183
Digital Archive on Agricultural
Theses and Journals of Bangladesh,
A milestone for Digitization of Bangladesh