Regional Head of Corn R&D, (LATAM)
$2,000 referral fee for each accepted referral.
An accepted referral is a lead that the client decides to follow up on.
Syngenta Biotechnology, Inc. is seeking a Regional Head of Corn R&D with the following qualifications.
Sao Paulo or Uberlandia, Brasil
Must speak English. It is of added value if candidate speaks Portuguese.
Lead achievement of Corn R&D breeding and trait program objectives within LATAM through effective execution of authorized projects and leadership of Corn Breeding Project Leads and Genetic Project Leads in LATAM
- Member of the Global Corn R&D Leadership Team.
- Accountable for successful delivery of Corn R&D breeding and traits projects in LATAM, on time and budget.
- Based on corn strategic and investment plans for LATAM, set and communicate objectives for breeding and trait projects, and maintain assessment of status against objectives.
- Maintain close connection of LATAM Corn R&D with Global Corn R&D, to co-evolve best practices in R&D project planning and execution, and maximize global leverage of germplasm, traits and processes.
- Actively represent Corn R&D with the LATAM Territory business leads and LATAM Regional Product Evaluation, maintain understanding of product needs for LATAM corn and actively represent those needs in the R&D portfolio processes.
- Lead mid- and long-range planning for Corn R&D breeding and trait projects.
- Actively interface with the LATAM Regional Biological Assessment Management, for short and long-term demand and capabilities planning.
- Prepare and manage yearly operational budgets and headcount plans for LATAM Corn breeding and traits R&D.
- Cooperatively with Collaborations Management, accountable to identify, evaluate and manage collaborations for corn breeding and traits in LATAM.
- In close cooperation with HR partner, lead and direct personnel management of Corn R&D personnel in LATAM, including appraisal, training and development and career planning to attract, select and maintain competent employees and ensure an efficient and effective functioning department.
- Ensure compliance with Company legal and local guidelines, especially including trait and germplasm stewardship and encumbrance, and HSE, within the areas of accountability for LATAM Corn R&D.
- Locally implement global quality management and performance tracking processes, to track and manage performance Corn R&D effectiveness in LATAM.
- Actively promote ongoing innovation in Corn R&D, including improvements in reliability of timeliness of project delivery, global leverage, and cost-effectiveness.
Critical success factors & key challenges
- Recognition as a technical leader
- Lead effectively in a complex matrix organization
- Drive success in a dispersed organization
- Maintain a culture which promotes innovation, job satisfaction and team success
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- PhD in Plant Breeding, Plant Genetics, Agronomy, Crop Physiology or related field
- State-of-the-art understanding of plant genetics and plant breeding
- Knowledge of budgeting, cost management, and basic accounting principles
- Training and experience in principles of leadership and effective management practices
- 10 yrs+ experience in plant biology research, including experience in plant breeding, trait research and/or agronomy research
- Experience in R&D organization management
- Proven record of building and leading teams
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Ability to plan and manage organizational change
- Ability to resolve work priorities against resource constraints
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to communicate clearly at all organizational levels
Critical leadership capabilities
Sets ambitious strategic goals:
Develop clever strategies and set aligned objectives for individuals and teams.
Focus energy on must-wins:
Make tough decisions.
Coaches to release creativity and innovation
, by enabling people to connect across functions and boundaries to spark innovation.
Manage Performance to ensure high standards:
Skilfully plan, organize and monitor performance to meet deadlines.