Light Therapy Removes Carbon Monoxide from Blood

Light Therapy Removes Carbon Monoxide from Blood
A new light therapy treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning has proven more effective than standard oxygen therapy.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is caused when inhaled CO displaces the oxygen from the blood’s hemoglobin, reducing the blood’s ability to deliver oxygen. Based on the knowledge that visible light can break the molecular bond between CO and hemoglobin, the treatment developed by the team from Massachusetts General Hospital combines phototherapy with an artificial membrane. In tests on laboratory rats, the phototherapy proved more effective in removing CO and improving the survival rate than standard oxygen treatments.

More Info about this Invention:

Next Invention »
Share on      

Add your Comment:

[LOGIN FIRST] if you're already a member.

fields are required.

Note: Your name will appear at the bottom of your comment.